In 2010, it has sold 1 million filter carafes. Real phenomenon of society, many are families in France who have opted for this solution, which allows to filter the tap water. About 20% of households are equipped at the present time. The German brand, Brita, is the undisputed leader with 90% of the market share of the sector.
The success of these carafes is due to several factors:
According to the Union that defends the bottling industry, Brita would spend 10% of its turnover to marketing, which is huge. The brand does not hide that it is very important to advertising to become better known to consumers and enhance its products.
(2) Put forward “assets”
The filter jug is more convenient than water bottles, and is more ‘economic’ because the price per litre is greatly reduced and finally, more ecological because waste production is lower.
There however qualify these assets. Indeed, the tap water is even more convenient as is immediately available (waiting a few minutes are necessary for water to be filtered by a carafe). The tap water is even more economical because a jug costs an average of € 20 to € 50 and the cartridges to change on a monthly basis, on average €7. The tap water is also of course more ecological because it is devoid of any disposable ‘packaging’ (cf. cartridges thrown every month).
The main selling point is their ability to filter the water to make it ‘better ‘. And that’s where the shoe pinches.
The Deputy of Alpes-Maritimes, Mrs Marland-Militello asked the Minister of health and sports that an investigation on the filter carafes. We read in the answer Roselyne Bachelot that “the use of filter carafes is today the object of any recommendation by the Ministry of health, the water from the public network to already comply with the regulatory requirements of quality”. We read also, not without some surprise, that of the “relargages of toxic or undesirable in water consumed [filter carafes from] are possible” during intensive use or when the cartridges are not changed in time.
His side, Nathalie Davoisne, of the WATER (the water Information Center) C.I says “prefer filtered water from the tap water, is above all a matter of taste.” Filtering does not improve the quality of the tap water, this water is subject to multiple controls and is perfectly safe to drink. “But if one chooses to buy a Brita jug must think about changing the filters, otherwise there may be a health risk”.
What is really?
Consumers that choose ‘association did a study on 7 new filter carafes in the laboratory and also studied that are used every day in 30 families. The editor-in-Chief of the association, Jean-Paul Geai, brought findings early May 2010 to France-Info.
Results in the laboratory:
- The removal of the chlorine taste is real. However we must know that you will have the same result, and this free of charge completely, leaving a jug of water in the refrigerator for an hour.
- 6 carafes on 7 are “somewhat effective” to reduce the levels of lead (less than 10 micrograms per litre), when they are new. According to Jean-Paul Geai we must relativize these results because the lead pipes are more rare. In 2013 a standard that lead is below 10 µg/L of water.
- The decanters are ineffective to remove nitrates.
- “The effectiveness of the filter carafes is very average” to eliminate the pesticides (here the glyphosate was searched because it is one of the most widely used pesticides).
- The decanters boast all reduce the limestone. Jay says that “the reduction of the limestone is real but modest”. However he adds what the carafes called limestone is calcium, indispensable for the proper functioning of the human body. Studies estimate that the water we drink represents 20% of daily calcium intake. Therefore, it is totally ridiculous to want to remove water.
- The cartridges that use also Silver for filtration salts in replicating in the water. According to that to choose even if “the doses are low” why should we find after filtration while initially this metal is not present in the tap water?
Results for individuals:
The association we alert that “that’s the disaster” and says that “the analysis of water filtered by these decanters at 30 families gives worse results than the tap water before filtration. Lead nitrate, limestone, pesticides, micro-organisms, the release of money, are all found in larger proportions. “In the end the results are disastrous for the filtered water” concluded that to choose.
There are several reason for this. He must handle the carafe with a lot of precaution (hand hygiene, etc) without which the microbes can greatly multiply (especially air). It takes more to be very strict with the replacement of cartridges over a period of time, which can become tedious and costly or simply be forgotten.
- Only choose
Denis Lefèvre and Vazken Andreassian: Water at risk?: A resource to preserve daily
Today, each French uses 148 litres of water for their daily needs. If our country appear rather well with water, some regions have excess or shortage, or even of diffuse pollution. Will we run out of water? Can we trust the tap water?
- Our water is polluted and toxic
- Is bottled water dangerous?
Water Filter Jug | Stelton
The Best Water Filter Pitcher Wirecutter Reviews A New …
Fill & Serve Carafe
Best Water Filter Pitcher
top3 by design – Menu
The Best Water Filters of 2017
17 Best images about Keurig Replacement Parts on Pinterest …
Carafe Water Filter Reviews Best Water Filter Pitcher Pur …
Cuisinart DCC-1150BK Programmable Thermal Coffee Maker …
Hiware Borosilicate Glass Water Carafe Pitcher with …
4 Best Water Filter Pitchers – Reviews & User Guide 2018
Coffee Thermal Carafe Stainless Steel (2 Liter)
18 Coolest Pitchers 2018
Glass Water Filter Jugs: 5 Great BPA Free Options
Top Picks for a Bedside Carafe in a Nursery
EM water carafe, jug from Stelton with Brita Maxtra water …
17 Best images about Coffee Makers on Pinterest …
Keurig 2.0 K-Carafe Reusable Replacement Coffee Filter for …
Guide d’achat Carafes Filtrantes
Brita® 10-Cup Grand Pitcher in Clear